1. Genetic factors: Deafness-ear malformation-facial palsy syndrome can be caused by genetic mutations that affect the development of the ear, facial muscles, and/or the nerves that control them.
2. Infections: Viral or bacterial infections can cause damage to the inner ear, resulting in hearing loss.
3. Trauma: Trauma to the head or neck can cause damage to the inner ear, resulting in hearing loss.
4. Medications: Certain medications, such as antibiotics, can cause hearing loss.
5. Toxins: Exposure to certain toxins, such as lead, can cause hearing loss.
6. Age: Age-related hearing loss is common in older adults.