The exact cause of benign idiopathic neonatal seizures is unknown. However, some potential causes include:
* Genetic factors: Certain genetic mutations may increase the risk of developing benign idiopathic neonatal seizures.
* Metabolic disorders: Metabolic disorders such as hypoglycemia, hypocalcemia, and hypomagnesemia can cause seizures in newborns.
* Infections: Infections such as meningitis, encephalitis, and sepsis can cause seizures in newborns.
* Brain malformations: Certain brain malformations, such as cortical dysplasia, can cause seizures in newborns.
* Drug withdrawal: Drug withdrawal in newborns can cause seizures.
* Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy: Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy, which is a type